I love this phrase from Usain Bolt:
«I am focused on what I want to do. I know what I must do to be a champion, so I am working hard on it.
With that thought in mind, this athlete has become the fastest man on the planet. See if motivation is important.
But to be the best and overcome their own limits, Usain Bolt had to train every day to perfect his technique and thus increase his speed, coordination and agility.
And you know what the lightning man used to train?
The agility ladder.
The lower train worked with her and maximized her strength. So if you are thinking of improving …
- Your coordination
- Your speed
- Your physical abilities in general.
Do like the Jamaican and start working with the speed ladder. In this post I tell you how to use it and what exercises to perform.
I can’t assure you that you are going to run as fast as the world champion, but somewhat faster you will go. ?
What is the agility ladder? Uses and benefits
Also called coordination ladder, sports or speed ladder.
Its measures are usually 4 or 5 meters in length, with intermediate spaces of approximately 50 centimeters.
Although that is only if we stay with the standard measures, because the good thing about this tool is that it can be quickly modified to fit your sports needs.
The ladder is one of the means by which the runner can work to improve his agility, speed and coordination .
The Agility is the ability to move quickly and change direction more easily , and it should be part of your workout routine.
With it we can improve the ability to move more quickly in multiple directions , which will be useful in possible changes of direction that take place during training and / or races.
It is portable , and can be used both in the gym, as on a running track and anywhere outdoors.
But as in all types of workouts , we should not consider the ladder as the only means to improve the “foot speed”, and although it can be a useful tool in our programming, it should be remembered that a good training program should have variety .
It is recommended that the speed ladder exercises are best performed in the first part of the training session, after a good warm-up to ensure that the movements favor the movements are of higher quality.
1. Other ways to use the coordination ladder
- You can use two stairs to expand the number of movements: and thus get more out of the exercises.
- You can modify the space between slats: each one has a different measure to practice speed and coordination.
- You can alternate patterns to your liking: depending on how you want to work speed, agility or both.
It is a very practical and versatile material that you can use in both outdoor and indoor workouts, but always on a flat and compact area, to avoid involuntary movement during exercise.
In addition, it is made of semi-rigid synthetic materials and striking colors to contrast with the surface on which it is placed. Its light weight and folding system allow you to transport it without any problem.
It is frequently used in training for sports such as football or athletics. This is due to its ease of use as it serves to maximize resistance, speed and coordination. Basic pillars in this type of disciplines.
In the end you have a very reliable and practical tool that allows you to take your capabilities to the limit anywhere and without the need for a cumbersome material preparation. And that only in terms of features. Now let’s see the benefits of working with the sports ladder.
2. Benefits of ladder coordination exercises ?
The positive and energetic impact when working with this type of material focuses on three fundamental pillars:
- The coordination
Strengthening these three values is essential to improve your physical performance and thus exceed your limits.
Especially if you practice a sport that demands speed and good reaction, or if you simply want to increase your endurance and background.
With the sports ladder the movements of the lower train are worked a lot, especially the feet. That is why it is so important that you use it if you want to improve your physical technique in the following aspects:
- When changing direction quickly.
- In lateral displacements.
- In the most specific movements of a sport: how to dribble in football or reach the ball in tennis.
But not only that. If in your case you do not practice any sport and all you want is to be fit, this is also your tool. He thinks that the exercises with the coordination ladder are explosive and require power, so they help define the muscles and, in passing, strengthen the body.
In short, with the agility ladder you will develop balance and coordination. Also the reaction speed, agility and strength. And above it prevents injuries by strengthening the joints of the lower train.
Sounds good, right? Then wait to see the coordination exercises with stairs that you can do.
? Speed ladder exercises ⚡️
It is advisable to place these exercises in the first part of a training session, after the warm up. Thus, the body is fresh and well prepared for the intensity that the movements will require. The ideal is to start progressively, from simple exercises and, little by little, increase the level of difficulty and the number of variants or series of movements.
Important … listen to your body.
At the beginning, 3 or 4 simple movements are enough, do not start giving it all or you will burn quickly and the exercise will not help. As you have mastered and automated these simple movements see adding new. At your own pace!
These are the most common basic exercises to train with the sports ladder:
- Take a tour between the steps with your feet together or apart (monopodal or bipodal) : this improves your agility and balance.
- Draw the steps: by inserting each foot between the empty holes as fast as you can.
- Jump from space to space with your feet together: separate the steps at a distance that is a challenge between each jump or stride.
- Do squats between jump and jump.
- Combine two stairs in parallel: one for each foot.
- Make different series of races: two feet in a hole, one inside and one outside in the next. Alternate movements.
- Advances on the side: perform profile movements, perpendicular to the ladder.
- Knees high: climb them at each step inside the stairs. Try repeating series of movements by adding the knee lift.
What are the Benefits of the Agility Ladder? Let’s Discover them
Endurance, coordination, speed and agility are essential to achieve a good athletic performance. In sports such as football, basketball, tennis and athletics this is essential. In order to achieve these objectives it is important to have the training tools that allow us to achieve them. It is for this reason that, in order to develop these attributes, you must consider training such as the Agility Ladder . Next, you will be able to know all the benefits, forms of execution, performance criteria within training, among other important aspects that you should know, and in this way check the advantages you will get as a running athlete.
One of the objectives of the Coordination Ladder is to encourage agility.
You probably don’t know everything about the Agility Ladder, but before continuing, we must define what agility is for an athlete, specifically for a running athlete. Agility in an athlete is related to the ability that the athlete has to change movements and direction with ease, it is also related to the concentration with which the athlete performs his training, making him be attentive to the changes he must make during the development of your sports routine or career. The Coordination Ladder will help the athlete to improve their conditions, not only physical but also mental speed to make decisions.
Athletes who use tools that create physical barriers with specific objectives during their training are more precise and obtain better results during their execution, which is why the incorporation of the Agility Ladder in their training is essential. This helps the athlete to verify in a better way when he is running the training correctly. By existing within the sports routine limits, lines, starting points or specific goals, the athlete recognizes when he is doing the exercise in the wrong way, and can work on the weaknesses themselves to correct mistakes.
The Agility Ladder incorporates versatility to our training.
Perhaps we could think that with another type of training we can also reach the objectives we have set ourselves, without the need for the use of the Agility Ladder. However, one of the benefits of using the Agility Ladder is that it will allow our training to be versatile , making it more complete, entertaining and vigorous. You will realize that after integrating this training, you will enjoy the sport routine in a transcendental way.
Before starting the training with Coordination Ladder, you should take into account the following.
In the first place, and as in any other sports training guideline, it is advisable to warm up the muscles before starting. For this warm-up, a five-minute run at a slow or moderate pace may be sufficient. This will aim at the fact that the muscles are fresh, and thus ensure a good quality of movement in a wide range of effort. These types of exercises are not intended to leave you exhausted, but to prepare you physically, and adapt your body to the development of new goals.
At what time of training should the exercises with Agility Ladder be performed?
The ideal moment is at the beginning of training, so its relationship with warming up. The Agility Ladder will make our body adapt to the new challenges we will face during training. It has even been proven that starting a routine with the Agility Ladder exercises changes our mood for the better, remember that much of the success in any sports discipline is in our attitude.
It is important to go from less to more with the Coordination Ladder.
Every start can be difficult, and this does not escape training with the Coordination Ladder. It is therefore important not to demand beyond what we can give at a specific time. Many times the difficulties in training with the Agility Ladder will not come from our motor capacity , but from ignorance of the form of exercise execution. Within a few days, that difficulty will be a thing of the past.
Suggestions to make sports training with the Agility Ladder more efficient.
Here are some valid suggestions for all types of stair exercises that can be performed:
- Always support the entire sole of the foot on the floor, not just the toes . This is a very common error in the performance of training with the Agility Ladder . We will get better results if our feet have full support on the ground.
- Take advantage of the movement of the arms to maximize training results. The agility that we need is not only of the legs and feet, but also of our arms, for this we must take care of the movement of our arms and thus improve the agility in them.
- Try to keep your head as stable as possible. The head must remain in a straight position, without this meaning that we make a special force on it, specifically on our neck. The main benefit that in this case we will obtain is to avoid cervical injuries that hinder our training.
- Reaction and,
By training with the Agility Ladder you can develop your physical potential in the following aspects.
For a runner the development of speed is essential, this with the purpose of each day to make better marks, not only in training, but mainly in the competitions in which he participates. The resistance obtained by the runner with the Agility Ladder will improve his physical condition and response to the decrease in body energy . The reaction and coordination are very important, because many times during the races you must make quick decisions, originated by environmental situations. Many times the success of a competition will depend on how coordinated our reactions are.
Some examples of exercises with Agility Ladder.
Consider these simple but beneficial exercises with the Agility Ladder:
- Step by Step. In this exercise you should try to move inside the ladder as quickly as possible, trying to match both feet in the same frame. At the end of the tour, return to the starting point. This pause is important to lower the intensity of the heart rate. You can raise your knees as much as possible to incorporate difficulty.
- Lateral entry. Position yourself at the beginning of the stairs and insert your feet to the left or right sideways, these should fall into each frame as quickly as possible.
- Squats You should stand in front of the stairs, jump with both feet together into the stairs and do a squat, then jump to the side and perform another squat in the next frame. This movement can have a variation, making the movement in and out of the stairs.
- I jump on one foot. You can go jumping and falling in each frame with one foot. At the end of the stairs, repeat the movement, but this time with the other foot.
- Scroll with hands and feet. You must stand outside the stairs and rest your hands on the first frame, resting your feet off the stairs. Move one hand first and then the next until both coincide in the same square.
- In and out . Place the ladder between your legs, jump from the outside in, making your feet fall together within each frame.
- In and out running. In this case, you should stand sideways off the ladder and run in and out of the ladder, making both feet match in the same frame, one first and one later.
These are just some of the training examples you can do with the Agility Ladder , but your creativity is endless, you can make variations or incorporate some new ones. The opinion of your personal trainer is essential, which will make recommendations on ways of execution, periodicity and number of repetitions.
What should I look for in an Agility Ladder?
There are many models that you can find, and with a lot of variety of prices, but the main thing is the following:
- That the size of the steps can be adjusted.
- Have solid and well woven side rails.
- Avoid getting tangled.
Most Agility Ladders that you will find meet these requirements , you should also be aware of whether they offer any type of guarantee.
Three reasons to buy an Agility Ladder
Let’s now look at the three main reasons why you should buy one:
- Improves visual coordination with the movement of the feet . It is created in the athlete the ability to quickly process the information perceived with the view, and give a motor response with the feet and the lower body train. This, in certain sports, is essential, for example, in football.
- Improves the control of the center of gravity . Rather than focusing on the speed of Execution, the ladder imposes on the athlete the need to control the center of body gravity in relation to the speed of execution of the training and, therefore, the speed of progression along it. This acquired skill is extremely important in any type of Sports Training.
- It is an optimal Warming Exercise. The coordination ladder is very useful during muscle warming. And although everything that is done with the ladder can be done without it, the effects on the elevation of body temperature and heart rate, as well as muscle preparation, are formidable. Also, an element that is a point in its favor is the increased attention and concentration of the corridor.
Agility Ladder training strengthens our conditions.
There are certain aspects that cannot necessarily be improved with this type of training method. There are runners who have a learned or innate condition, and not because it is necessarily developed through routines with the Agility Ladder . When we want to reach new capacities, we must always carry out training in agreement with our personal trainer.
Without a doubt, the Agility Ladder can be a fundamental training tool that helps us achieve sporting success. If you still have doubts about the benefits that the Agility Ladder will bring to your sports life , today you can start discovering them.